Haitao Guo, Ph.D.
Summary of the focus of the research of Dr. Guo
Dr.Guo’s laboratory focuses on the viral pathogenesis of hepatitis B virus and antiviral discovery.
Description and summary of the laboratory's research focus
Hepatitis B virus (HBV) is the etiologic agent of viral hepatitis B, a disease affecting approximately 350 million people worldwide who suffer the high risk of liver failure, cirrhosis and liver cancer. My laboratory aims at understanding the molecular mechanisms of HBV DNA replication and morphogenesis, with special focus on the biosynthesis and regulation of HBV covalently closed circular (ccc) DNA, which is the persistent form of HBV infection, and is the culprit for the failure of current antiviral therapies. Making use of the HBV cccDNA reporter cell line systems recently established by us, we are screening small molecule compound libraries for cccDNA inhibitors in a high throughput fashion, and two identified cccDNA formation inhibitors are currently under preclinical development. In addition, we are studying the innate immunity and oncogenic signaling pathways that regulate HBV replication, as well as identification and characterization of interferon stimulated genes and microRNAs that inhibit HBV infection and propagation in human hepatocytes.
- Yan, R., Cai, D., Liu, Y., Guo, H. Detection of Hepatitis B Virus Particles Released from Cultured Cells by Particle Gel Assay. Methods in Molecular Biology 2017, 1540: 193-202. [PUBMED]
- Pang, J., Zhang, G., Lin, Y., Xie, Z., Liu, H., Tang, L., Lu, M., Yan, R., Guo, H., Sun, J., Hou, J., Zhang, X. Transforming growth factor β-activated kinase 1 transcriptionally suppresses hepatitis B virus replication. Scientific Reports 2017, 7: 39901. [PUBMED]
- Mitra, B., Guo, H. Hepatitis B Virus X Protein Crosses Out Smc5/6 Complex to Maintain cccDNA Transcription. Hepatology 2016, 64: 2246-49. [PUBMED]
- Liu, C., Cai, D., Zhang, L., Tang, W., Yan, R., Guo, H., Chen, X. Identification of hydrolyzable tannins (punicalagin, punicalin and geraniin) as novel inhibitors of hepatitis B virus covalently closed circular DNA. Antiviral Research 2016, 134:97-107. [PUBMED]
- Cai, D., Wang, X., Yan, R., Mao, R., Liu, Y., Ji, C., Cuconati, A., Guo, H. Establishment of an Inducible HBV Stable Cell Line that Expresses cccDNA-dependent Epitope-tagged HBeAg for Screening of cccDNA Modulators. Antiviral Research 2016, 132: 26-37. [PUBMED]
- Yan, R., Zhao, X., Cai, D., Liu, Y., Block, T., Guo, J., Guo, H. Interferon-inducible Protein Tetherin Inhibits Hepatitis B Virus Virion Secretion. Journal of Virology 2015, 89: 9200-12. [PUBMED]
- Yan, R., Zhang, Y., Cai, D., Liu, Y., Cuconati, A., Guo, H. Spinoculation Enhances HBV Infection in NTCP-Reconstituted Hepatocytes. PLoS One 2015, 10: e0129889. [PUBMED]
- Mao, R., H. Nie, D. Cai, J. Zhang, H. Liu, R. Yan, A. Cuconati, T. Block, J. T. Guo, H. Guo. Inhibition of Hepatitis B Virus Replication by the Host Zinc Finger Antiviral Protein. PLoS Pathogens 2013, 9: e1003494. [PUBMED]
- Cai, D., C. Mills, W. Yu, R. Yan, C. Aldrich, J. Saputelli, W.S. Mason, X. Xu, J.T. Guo, T.M. Block, A. Cuconati, H. Guo. Identification of the Disubstituted Sulfonamides as Specific Inhibitors of Hepatitis B Virus Covalently Closed Circular DNA Formation. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 2012, 56: 4277-88. [PUBMED]
- Mao, R., J. Zhang, D. Jiang, D. Cai, J. Levy, A. Cuconati, T. M. Block, J. T. Guo, H. Guo. Indoleamine 2, 3-dioxygenase Mediates the Antiviral Effect of Gamma Interferon against Hepatitis B Virus in Human Hepatocyte-derived Cells. Journal of Virology 2011, 85: 1048-57. [PUBMED]
- B.S., 1996: Wuhan University
- Ph.D., 2001: Wuhan University
- Postdoctoral Fellow, 2002-2004: Fox Chase Cancer Center
- Research Associate, 2004-2006: Drexel University College of Medicine