Byron Batteiger, M.D.
Professor of Medicine
Professor of Microbiology & Immunology
Summary of the focus of the research of Dr. Batteiger
I am engaged in the study of the clinical and molecular epidemiology of sexually transmitted infections, focused both on specific pathogens (Chlamydia trachomatis, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Mycoplasma genitalium, Trichomonas vaginalis) and syndromes (urethritis in men).
Description and summary of your laboratory's research focus
Research focus at present is a 5 year clinically-based basic science evaluation of idiopathic urethritis “The role of the urethral microbiome in idiopathic urethritis in men” NIAID 1R01AI116706-01A1 (12-1-15 through 11-30-20) consultant with Dr. David Nelson. My role is advising on the implementation of a large clinical trial to provide a highly organized clinical and behavioral basis for in depth molecular analysis by Dr. Nelson’s laboratory of urethritis in men.
- Schillinger JA, Katz BP, Markowitz LE, Braslins P, Shrier LA, Madico G, Van Der Pol B, Orr DP, Rice PA, Batteiger BE. 2016. Genotype-specific concordance of Chlamydia trachomatis genital infection within heterosexual partnerships. Sex Transm Dis, in press.
- Batteiger BE, Wan R, Williams JA, He L, Ma A, Fortenberry JD, Dean D. 2014. Novel Chlamydia trachomatis strains in heterosexual sex partners, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. Emerg Infect Dis 20:1841-7.
- Williams JA, Ofner S, Batteiger BE, Fortenberry JD, Van Der Pol B. 2014. Duration of PCR detectable DNA after treatment of Chlamydia trachomatis, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, and Trichomonas vaginalis infections in women. Sex Transm Dis, 41:215-9.
- Batteiger BE, Tu W, Ofner S, Van Der Pol B, Stothard DR, Orr DP, Katz BP, Fortenberry JD. 2010. Repeated Chlamydia trachomatis genital infections in adolescent women. J Infect Dis 201:42-51.
- Batteiger BE, Xu F, Johnson RE, Rekart ML. 2010. Protective immunity to Chlamydia trachomatis genital infection: Evidence from Human Studies. J Infect Dis 2010; 201(Suppl 2):S178-189.
- Tu W, Batteiger BE, Wiehe S, Ofner S, Van Der Pol B, Katz BP, Orr DP, Fortenberry JD. 2009. Time from first intercourse to first sexually transmitted infection diagnosis among adolescent women. Arch Pedatr Adol Med 163 (12):1106-1111.
- Stamm WE, Batteiger BE, McCormack WM, Totten PA, Sternlicht A, Kivel NM. 2007. A randomized, double-blind study comparing single dose rifalazil with single dose azithromycin for the empirical treatment of nongonococcal urethritis in men. Sex Transm Dis 34:545-52.
- B.S. 1974: Butler University, Indianapolis
- M.D., 1977: Indiana University School of Medicine
- Medical internship 1978: University of Missouri-Columbia
- Residency, Internal Medicine, 1978-1980: Indiana University School of Medicine
- Fellow, 1980-1982 Indiana University School of Medicine, Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases