Curriculum for M.S. Degree in Microbiology and Immunology
Required Didactic Coursework (10 cr total)
J810 Research in Microbiology (one 4-week laboratory rotation, 1 cr)
If the student does not join the laboratory in which the rotation was performed, the student must rotate in another lab to find a mentor for their thesis research. If no mentor is identified by the end of the first semester, the student will be dismissed from the program.
one course from among the following courses:
- G715 Biomed I-Biochemical Basis of Biological Processes (3 cr)
- G716 Biomed II-Molecular Biology & Genetics (3 cr)
- G717 Biomed III-Cellular Basis of Systems Biology (3cr)
at least 4 credits from among the following courses:
- G720 Stem Cell Biology (2 cr)
- G728 Fundamental Concepts of Infection and Pathogenesis (1 cr)
- G729 Introduction to Immunological Systems (1 cr)
- G852 Concepts of Cancer Biology: Signaling Gone Awry (2 cr)
- J807 Current Topics in Immunology (2 cr)
- J829 Current Topics in Molecular Genetics of Microorganisms (2 cr)
- J842 Neoplastic Determinants (2 cr)
G855 Experimental Design & Biostatistics (1 cr)
G505 Responsible Conduct of Research (1 cr)
Depending on the student’s interests and career goals, additional graduate courses within or outside the Department may be taken.
Thesis Research (16 cr)
- at least 16 cr of J810 Research in Microbiology
- completion of a thesis project involving original research, and oral defense of the thesis to the committee
Electives (4 cr)
- In addition to those credits listed above, 4 cr of additional graduate-level course work or thesis research is required, to reach the 30-credit minimum requirement.
- Attendance at Departmental seminars*
- Attendance and, starting in the 2nd year, annual presentation of research at Research in Progress (RIP) student seminar series
* attendance is reported to mentor and committee for consideration in assigning research grades.
Although not required, participation in a journal club of interest is encouraged.
MS students interested in teaching can request a nonpaid teaching assistant position in MICR J210 Microbiology & Immunology.
Grades for research credits (J810) are assigned by the student’s committee. An overall average of at least a B (3.0 GPA) is required. Only 3 credits of C (2.0 GPA) can be counted toward the required credits of didactic coursework.